3.09.2009

The Weekly Wrap: Proposition 8

A few days ago, the California Supreme Court heard arguments on whether or not Proposition 8 should be invalidated, or allowed to stand. 
What it really comes down to is whether or not the Court believes that Proposition constitutes an amendment or a revision to the California constitution. At least that is what I'm getting from it. I suppose if they agree that it was an amendment, the Proposition will remain. If they decide that it is revision to the equal protection clause in the constitution, I'm assuming it will be invalidated. 

This picture below made it to the New York Times website (my friend Kate Lewis is in the middle with her "Love and Let Love" sign. 
Of course I want Prop 8 to be invalidated, but one thing I am worried about is what happens if that occurs. Most (ok, all) of you know that I have been outspokenly pissed off and irate at 52% of California. I don't think proponents of equality were angry enough. We needed to be tougher than we were, stronger than we were. 
And I have gotten plenty of flak for my unabashedly liberal stance. 

I don't understand how people can still get away with holding up signs like the one below outside the courthouse in San Francisco. 


I don't understand how people can get away with their justifications for bigotry and homophobia. 

We should have just won outright in November, and this whole thing would have been easier. I agree that 50% + 1 should NOT be enough to change the constitution so drastically. I'm just not sure that a court battle gives us the best ammunition for future conflicts. 

3 comments:

Cyclingteacherguy said...

Well said younger brother, 100% agreed.....

Anonymous said...

Hey Buddy,

Another video is due soon I believe.

SFSU

TwoKindsOfBlue said...

indeed. i like your code