3.06.2009

Music of the Week: The Second Go-Around

So, here is week two of my top music. I've upped my number of songs this week from 6 to 10. While compiling this list, I realized that I really change what I listen to from week to week. Certain songs and moods just make more sense for me I guess, depending on what is going on in my life.

1. Your Heart is an Empty Room by Death Cab for Cutie
Couldn't find a good link, but seriously, get the song. Interestingly enough, it was around this time last year that I was turned on to Death Cab for Cutie. And it was this song that did it...at the end of the pilot of "New Amsterdam," and it was so, so, so awesome, that I just had to find the song, and the band. 

2. Casimir Pulasky Day by Sufjan Stevens
Moves up a spot. Stevens may be uber religous, but he is also uber talented.

3. Sodom, South Georgia by Iron and Wine
Falls a little bit, but oh well. Still a great, touching song.

4. America by Simon and Garfunkel
Not the best link, but still, great song. Anne Litak's comments today about this song made me put it into the list. I grew up with S&G (thanks Dad), so there needs to be something from that era in here. 

5. Holland, 1945 by Neutral Milk Hotel
Thanks Eva Loney for giving me this shit back in September. Great song, great band, sad album theme.

6. Daniel's Song by the Finches
I'm telling you, the Finches are the future.

7. Clark Gable by The Postal Service
Thank you Mr. Ben Gibbard. I think the first line is just so awesome, it always reminds me of my time in London. 

8. Angel by Jack Johnson
Jack Johnson,...is still my favorite musician, as you all probably well know. 

9. Viva la Vida by Coldplay
I was going to end at 8 songs for the week, but with the warm weather, Viva la Vida just fit. 

10. Nightingale by Norah Jones
Yes, I listen to Norah Jones. Deal with it. This is a beautiful song, and she is great on the piano with a wonderful voice. And yes, I saw her live. 

Have a good weekend team, I'll have some more thoughts up tomorrow. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Soooo....I feel like there's a better version of America and it's sung by Josh Groban. Youtube or look it up on Imeem. Good list though =)

Unknown said...

I checked Youtube and there's none that do it justice. Imeem has a decent one.

Most people hate that I like covers sometime better then originals though...haha

TwoKindsOfBlue said...

i am one of those people. haha.

Stephen said...

What's wrong with Norah Jones? I like her too!