3.11.2009

The Cycling Town: Dead Day, Dorm Life, and Film Roots


So, Winter Quarter of my first year in college is coming to a conclusion. 

Well, April Andrade, you were right. Winter Quarter is stressful, cold, boring, and...cold.

Finals are next week (thank god) and as usual, the campus is prepping for it. One thing that really pisses me off about finals this quarter is that we don't have a dead day in-between the last day of class and finals. 

We have class Monday, and then we jump right into Tuesday finals. And that last day of class Monday certainly doesn't count as a "dead day."

Monday, I have a fatty film paper due that I am...uh...sort of starting tonight. And also Monday, I have my final Psychology 1 MIDTERM. So I take one Psych test Monday, and another one three days later. What up?

In other news...I've had some discussions recently regarding Sereno, and Regan Hall as a whole. I'm happy where I live, but some of the ideas I had about Regan have changed a lot since I've been a resident here. 
Regan Hall is a little collection of seven small buildings. I live in Sereno, the closest to campus one of these buildings. My dorm has 63 people. My brother Matt was an RA in nearby Talara, (and when I mean nearby, I mean next to) and our friend Jamie was Matt's resident. 
(In Claire's room :> )
Then last year, I came up and stayed in Sereno with April, (who I barely knew, bless her. lol) and loved it. What I found appealing about Regan was that it was its own little entity, its own little community. It seemed to be the Washington D.C. of Davis dorms. 
(Above is Mitzi's super awesome mural)

Unfortunately, Regan Hall isn't really its own little community. I mean we are, but we aren't at the same time. There isn't any true connectivity between dorms. I think it would be a great atmosphere if these small little communities were connected into a larger community. There is the potential for that. Regan really is a subset of Segundo (non Davis kids, sorry...)

So...they should make it happen. Have Regan Main be a place to get food, hang out. Have more events that people actually go to. Make it, as Barney Stinson would say, Awesome.

And last point...we'll make this short. I just checked out 49er video to rent a movie for my film class. It got great reviews on Daviswiki and I have to say, it is an awesome little movie store. I wish there were more of these around. Independently owned and run....they certainly know their movies. They are willing to actually...wait for it...negotiate. AND...they have a tremendous collection of movies, tv shows, and documentaries. 

ANYway, have a good night team.

I'll talk to you all tomorrow. 

3 comments:

AdventuresInSF said...

Awww, I miss Regan! B--hope to see you soon. Can't believe your first year at Davis is more than half way over...

TwoKindsOfBlue said...

i miss you jlaw. when i come to sf next can i look you up?

and come to davis.! picnic day?

Unknown said...

Invite me over sometime. Haha...You're always welcome to Paloma.