4.05.2009

Of Courage Undaunted: The Five People I'll Meet....sometime.

The title of this post stems from two areas. First, I'm going to talk about five people that have previously roamed this earth and have strongly influenced me. This draws on the book "The Five People You Meet in Heaven." Seeing as I don't believe in god, or heaven, I can only hope that I'll unite, emotionally and spiritually, with them in the future. Second, "Of courage undaunted" is the beginning of a fantastic single sentence description of Meriwether Lewis by Thomas Jefferson. It also describes how I view these men's lives.

I understand that I have only met one of these people, but that doesn't mean that those I have not met have influenced me any less, just differently. 

1. Robert F. Kennedy. 
By far, a better man than his older brother. And also, the man who should have been President. Looking back through history, I'm not sure if anyone deserves that title more than RFK. He was tough, yes. He was ruthless, and bullying, yes. But was he also compassionate, empathetic, kind, and good? Yes. That is the kind of politician we, still, lack.

2. Abraham Lincoln. 
Lincoln did suspend Habeas Corpus, and didn't necessarily have emancipation at heart when he confronted the Confederacy. But he was also the most brilliant politician ever to serve, the most influential President of the 19th century, and a truly gifted man with words.

3. John Nunes. 
Please don't think me cheesy for including this man in a list that is full of famous men. But in regards to how I think of him, how I wish to emulate him, he certainly is deserving. The man was good, he was kind, he was thoughtful. He looked after every child in his presence, and treated each of them with respect. When hundreds, probably more, show up to honor a man, and when poor college students take the train for hours on end to do so, (not me) he is special.
I hope to be a father like he was, a husband like he was, a man like he was, and a human like he was.

4. Mohandas Ghandi.
What more is there to say that hasn't already been said? Next.

5. Chris McCandless.
He might have had a mental problem, I don't know. But he was able to connect with people, and matter to them. I hope to be able to do that as well. 

ANYway, talk to you later.


No comments: