2.26.2009

Pilot

Welcome, everyone. I do hope that this blog will cover a wide array of topics that will interest everyone. 

On Monday, I took the train back to Martinez. I still get a kick out of the fact that Amtrak Conductors still look and act like they want to teleport back to the late 19th century. Seriously, the caps, uniforms, mustaches, and attitudes all belong in the 1890's, not more than a century later.

I headed over to Alhambra and sat down with a few old teachers, namely Ryan Hussey and Eliot Schain. I do agree, yes, there are problems with Martinez, and it is good and necessary for her young people to escape. Still, AHS had its moments. 




These two men are both quirky and off-beat, but they deeply care about what they are doing, more perhaps than their students deserve. Eliot Schain puts up with immaturity and carelessness each day, and only asks students to try. I certainly spoke up in his class, and perhaps that is why he put up with my sarcastic remarks regarding Shasta's stance on evolution, or when I dressed up like him for teacher appreciation day... OR when I went on the morning announcements and told the school to check out EliotSchain.com.
He wasn't overly happy about that.
 
Yes, I could be a pain in the ass. But he will always have my respect for putting up with me.



Then I sped downtown to the Courthouse to meet up with another Alhambra Mock Trial Alum, my dear Bethany Walls, and watch our old team go up against Monte Vista in the Contra Costa County Quarterfinals. 

But lets pause, quickly. 
Alhambra is a Mock Trial powerhouse-enough said.
But why is it that Mock Trial at Alhambra gets no respect, even when, year after year, we turn out quality teams? 
How do we do it?
Easy...'cause Dawn Polvorosa is a god.
She takes random students, every year, and turns them into winners. We shouldn't be at the top, year after year.
Northgate, for example, has 90 students try out for their team. Monte Vista has a class dedicated to it. Miramonte is a mock trial cult. 
And we have Dawn.

The courthouse for Contra Costa County is in Martinez, and I used to always enjoy saying that when we competed, we were on home turf. People had to come to our town if they wanted to beat us, and usually we'd send them home crying. 
Well, Adrianna Mendoza rocked her opening statement, and our witnesses all outfoxed Monte Vista's quite annoying attorneys. After a while of listening to them, Beth wanted to strangle someone. 
At the end, Phil Thomas stood up and closed the deal with two awesome crosses and a bone-crunching closing statement, effectively sending our squad to the semi-finals once again. 

TONIGHT, they go up against Acalanes (a team always noted for their douche-i-ness). 

After that, I headed back to Davis. I'd wanted to come to this University for many years...mainly because I felt comfortable and connected to the town and community. It reminded me a lot of Martinez, except of course it was more educated, had more young people, and was even more liberal. 

I do love Davis, and am still relieved and happy that I go here...but Martinez and its students will always matter to me.

Thanks everyone, and have a good Thursday night.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awww good ol' AHS. had some good times there...not gonna lie, I miss it sometimes...when I am inundated with papers, stress for midterms, and all other types of general stress, haha